Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Coolest Thing About Being Cool


In order to maintain whatever sanity I could find within myself, I tried to divert attention away from my foster shadow by creating a different identity; one that would make classmates and friends think that I was ok, normal, fun to be with.  I would also try to fit in with students who were smart but popular. They had to be smart because I was smart; having made the honor rolls in Algebra, English and Science in jr. high and high school….
- Validation Denied, Grace Bestowed:somewhere between the ghetto and God was something called foster care..... p. 26
               
Vickie was voted prom queen. She had beauty, brains and was very popular in high school.  Vickie loved people. We became friends when we worked together one summer at a neighborhood community center.  Vickie was one of the few people ma and dad allowed me to hang with.  So I hung out wither her hoping to discover her winning formula.  I was surprised Vickie let me hang with her sometimes and she never disrespected me.  The best thing I liked about Vickie was she never viewed me as a foster child. She simply saw me as a friend or  hangin’ buddy…
Validation Denied, Grace Bestowed:somewhere between the ghetto and God was something called foster care..... p. 30

And then there was Marlene. Marlene had an older sister, Carolyn, who were both beautiful.  Marlene had a cleft lip but the way she dealt with it was as though it didn’t exist…and she was hot AND smart!  (No, I’m not gay and I have nothing against sexually unique people*).  Their parents - mom was German and dad was African-American – were good people.  You could see their family pool and chat with them over the fence.  Carolyn and I were about the same age but I adored Marlene even though she was a few years younger than me.  Carolyn was smart but a little to classy or prissy for me; our conversations always seemed to be laborious so I’d just keep our conversations short and to the point; then I’d ask if Marlene was home. 

As the saying goes, ‘If it don’t fit, don’t force it’!  We create our own problems when we try to fit in with folks we know good and well could give a rat’s tail about us. They give all kinds of warnings or hints that we are not welcomed but we think: ‘if I could just make them understand me’  or  ‘maybe if I lose weight, get a tan, crack jokes about the opposition, lighten my skin and/or  fix my nose, ears, butt, wear a weave, etc, etc, (I’d experience a special sense of belonging, acceptance and….validation).  No, no, no, no!  

Celebrate YOURSELF first.  Learn from your mistakes, grow from your limitations WHILE you celebrate your strengths.  You will attract people who  1) respect your parents/family and others you care about  2) love you  3) enjoy your company  4) respect you  5) tell you the truth but won’t hurt your spirit  6) won’t allow others to @%&$! with you  7) won’t allow you to @#%&$ with others  9) won’t let you fall and stay there  10) will support your endeavors if they can, the best way they can.

BTW:  “Celebrate” means to accept your uniqueness or strengths with an unapologetic joy. 

My friends accepted me as I was: they didn’t care that I lived in foster care, they didn’t care about my complexion, hair texture nor how I was dressed. They were only concerned about my well-being and happiness (and I made sure to not be a pain in the butt).  I always felt a sense of cool through being smart, honest and confidential.  To this day, people tell me things (sometimes too much info) because they sense that their secret is safe with me.  I am a fabulous confidante….and that’s one of the coolest things I love about myself ;-)

So, the coolest thing about being cool?   A celebration of YOURself.

Teen Task: 1. Give yourself a chance. 2. Jot down 3 things YOU feel makes YOU “cool” 3. Take another look at your circle of friends.  Ask yourself:  Do they respect me?(Are we respectful of one another?) Do they respect my parents, family and those I care about?  Do they respect my feelings and beliefs? Do they support my personal growth as a student and human being?  Do we really have fun together?(without being loud and destructive?)  4. Discuss this blog with your parents or with those you feel safe sharing your thoughts.

Fun Fact: *I prefer to use "sexually unique" vs.  the labels “gay”, “lesbian”, “queer”, “transgender”, “freak”.  Sexually unique.  You saw it first on Qs B-Spot!

Thanks for reading.  

- Quelyn, Author of Validation Denied Grace Bestowed


FOR APPEARANCES, BOOK SIGNINGS & TALKS CONTACT:
The Butterfly Book TourTeam / beyondlabelz@yahoo.com
Validation Denied Grace Bestowed is available at
iUniverse.com, (812)330-2909 or (800) 288-4677
….and bookstores everywhere!



Copyright©2012 Quelyn Purdie


No comments:

Post a Comment