Tuesday, February 19, 2013

I candy

I watched the Grammys® last week and a thought occurred to me, during Drake’s Red Carpet interview, amidst background cheers: ‘If only (we) knew what it really takes to be Drake….or Justin Timerberlake, Beyonce, Rihanna ….or twin performers Tegan and Sara!  Alright it does take an awesome team to have our favorite artists show up for interviews or to give a fabulous concert.  But all of us have to show up and perform” on the real stage that is life, even when we think there is no human team or ‘cheerleaders’ in our corner. 

You see, we have an inner team which includes spirit, health and our incredible mind, all of which allows us to open our eyes, yawn and rise every single morning, for yet another opportunity to express the greatness, intelligence and love that are a part of our true nature…..regardless of whether or not others believe in us or even care.

The passage below is an excerpt from my book, which describes a magical event that happened in my life as a young woman.  I had come face to face with a living meditation master, whose wisdom lit a path towards full acceptance and love of myself vs the need to expect others to accept my (expression of) love:

In summer 1986 I was invited to attend a meditation program held at Manhattan Center, downtown Manhattan.  I arrived just in time to hear the last thirty or so minutes of the talk by a world-renown meditation master.  She told a beautiful story about how we tend to impose our love onto others and expect them to accept it. 
 
When the truth hits, either you surrender to it or you fight – and continue to look like a fool.  I sat there, in the packed hall and

sobbed like a child
who watched her sand castle
dissolve
under the weight of a
truth unknown.
i flew out of my own hell so fast
i didn’t have time to
think, analyze, conceptualize
nor theorize how i was released.
i was released from myself
to my Self.
- p. 55, Validation Denied Grace Bestowed:somewhere between  the ghetto and God was something called foster care

Maybe one day, in the not-too-distant future, artists will be able to just rise out of bed and jump right into their performance, all made up, looking gorgeous and, somehow, I guess through advanced technology, give a spectacular concert…without ever leaving their home, hotel, or wherever they might be!  BUT what will probably remain the same is

the beautiful fact that
we’d all still have to
open our eyes
and rise

For me, everyday is a time when I can buy a box of chocolates (or other vegan goody) for myself - and of course gladly receive a gift from a date or friend! - or enjoy learning something new, marvel at the intelligence of nature, tutor children In the New York City community, give myself a nice, hot bath, say/email/text/think “I love you” to a friend, watch one or more of my favorite shows (I watch tv online), write a blog – ahem! – and more.

I candy.  I think you get it

Teen Task: 1.Give yourself a chance  2. Journal your thoughts and response about the I candy  blog  3. Discuss I candy with your parents

Thank you for reading.     - Quelyn

 FOR APPEARANCES, BOOK SIGNINGS & TALKS CONTACT:
The Butterfly Book Tour™Team / beyondlabelz@yahoo.com
Validation Denied Grace Bestowed is available at
iUniverse.com, (812)330-2909 or (800) 288-4677
.....and bookstores everywhere!

 
Copyright©2013 Quelyn Purdie

 

No comments:

Post a Comment